Thursday, October 7, 2010

Oui Oui










On Mount Washington, I apparently stuttered the word *we* on the down climb. I stuttered it several times I am told. Stress comes out differently for us all. Apparently for me I sounds like I am French. Oui, Oui. Now I cannot hide from it. People call me this who weren't even there.

Last Sunday I climbed with a group of SAR people. Compared to Mount Washington, it was an entirely different experience.

Climbing Mount Thielsen was absolutely sublime. It was a perfect mix of sensations, of terror, of joy, of focus, and the distractions trying to break it. I had moments of weakness, and moments of strength. It lacked as much sustained exposure, and it was not as technical, however its 90 foot summit block with thousands of feet of exposure made for a perfect climb. Its high end class IV scramble was so much fun I am actually looking forward to another chance to climb it. The optional class IV scramble up the dinner plate flakes gave me a shot of adrenaline and was a transcendental climb. It took a deep breath, and clearing my mind to continue.

Irony is, when I finished, I realized it was almost relaxing and meditative, that climbing this mountain cleared my mind, without being destructively bleachy like Mount Washington.

The most important part of all my climbs so far, has been connecting with those I have climbed with, and those I have met along the way. Mountains bring together people that might never meet, never find common ground otherwise. My only regret is that I was unable to help Katie and Danny summit. There is always a reason to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment